Nothing is more luxurious than having a swimming pool in the backyard. Whether it is an above ground pool or an inground one, such a facility can make your life more comfortable and enjoyable during the summer.
But you shouldn’t use your pool only the weather is hot! You need to find a way to continue swimming during the chilly evening and at the start of the winter.
There is no better way to do that than to install the best solar pool heater for your pool. That leads to the question: what is the best solar pool heater?
I have reviewed the top 10 models on the market today that you can use for your pool.
Review of Top 10 Solar Pool Heaters – Editors’ Pick 2022
Here are the 10 pool heaters that can allow you to continue swimming during the chilly night and way past the start of winter.
1. Game 4714 SolarPro Contour Solar Pool Heater
There are dozens of features that Game 4714 SolarPro Contour Solar Pool Heater. I have reviewed them here:
- For Intex above ground pool – You should note that this heater is designed to be used with Intex pools, and it is quite useful.
- 10,000 gallons – The heater is ideal for heating a pool of up to 10,000 gallons of water.
- Creates greenhouse effect – It comes with a solar done heater that helps to create a “Green House’ effect to boost heat transfer. And you don’t need to connect it to a gas or electricity source.
- 5-Degree F heating – The heater can quickly warm your pool by 5-Degree F withing six days and provides a flow rate of 19 GPM.
- Foldable legs – These come in handy when you want to store your heater during the winter when the sun is absent.
- Affordable – Lastly, the solar heater is quite affordable and won’t cost much in operation.
2. Intex 28685E Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater Solar Mat
The second product on my review is a solar mat by Intex that can help you to heat your swimming pool during the day. It is a unit with amazing features as I have outlined them here:
- Comes with a Pump – The first thing about this pool heater is that it comes with a small pump; you don’t need to buy a pump separately.
- Made of black material – Its black color helps to absorb the sun and convert it to heat that can warm your swimming pool.
- DIY installation – Another thing about this model is that it comes when assembled; you won’t do much when installing it.
- Performance – It is one of the most effective units you can get from the market today and is quite affordable.
- Low maintenance – Another feature that makes it a fantastic solar heater is the fact that you don’t need to maintain it.
3. SunHeater S120U Universal Solar Pool Heater
SunHeater is a great brand that has provided some of the best pool heaters on the market today. One such unit is the 2 x 20 feet S120U solar pool heater that I have reviewed here:
- DIY Installation – We all like a product that is easy to install, and that is what you get when you choose this model by SunHeater.
- For above/inground pools – Another great thing about this system is that you can install it for your above ground or inground pool.
- Versatile installation – You can install this heater on rack, fence, ground, or roof, and it will work effectively.
- Patented web design – It is a design that guarantees maximum sun exposure to ensure that your pool gets heated efficiently.
- No need of a pump – The system uses the existing pool pump to circulate water around.
- 6-10-Degree F Raise – It quickly raises the water temperature by six to 10 degrees F.
4. Kokido Keops Solar Dome Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater
Kokido Keaops Dome Heater is a model that can extend your swimming session deep into the winter days. Here are some of its main highlights:
- Comfortable temperature – The heater efficiently heats your pool’s water to let you swim in a comfortable facility during the cold days.
- For above ground pool – It is a system that was designed to be used for all above ground pools and is quite affordable.
- Environmentally friendly – One great feature of a solar heater is that it uses the natural sun to warm the water. That means there are no emissions that can pollute the air.
- Minimal heating cost – You don’t use electricity or gas to heat your swimming pool if you use this solar heater.
- Protective cover – Another unique feature of this unit is the protective cover that you can install when storing it.
5. Smartpool S601P SunHeater Solar Heating System
Smartpool S601P is a heater for inground pool and provides service for decades without slowing down. Below I have looked at all its major features:
- Polypropylene heat collector – The system keeps your swimming pool warm using a polypropylene heat collector that is quite effective.
- Different heating tubes – It also comes with varying tubes of heating to ensure that the system heats a small amount of water at a go.
- 80 sq. ft. solar panels – The heater provides up to 80 sq. ft. of solar panel that is large enough to trap more heat.
- Raises temperature by 6-10-degree F – You can have peace of mind knowing that your pool temperature is raised by between six to 10 degrees F.
- Easy to install – You can easily install the system when you get an installation kit that is sold separately.
- Durable – The solar heater can last for long, giving you value for your money.
6. XtremePowerUS Inground/Above Ground Swimming Pool Solar Panel Heating System
Next is a solar pool heater that can work for both the inground and above ground swimming pools. It provides dozens of features, as seen in my review that follows:
- Made of high-grade material – The heater is made of high-quality material that allows it to last for long in harsh weather conditions.
- Cost-effective – It is a cost-effective system for heating your swimming pool once it gets installed.
- Low maintenance – Another great feature of this unit is low maintenance and it does not produce any gas.
- Lightweight design – The system is made using lightweight materials to allow you to carry it with ease when storing or installing it.
- Optimal heat transfer – One great feature of this system is the ability to transfer as much heat to the water as possible. That is all thanks to its unique design.
7. SmartPool S240U Universal SunHeater
SmartPool S240U is an excellent model that measures four by 20 feet. It was made to heat your swimming pool, and here I have listed all its features:
- Direct flow system – The direct flow system is a feature that allows each header hole to hold a heating tube to allow for maximum heating.
- Operation manual – You get a Spanish, French, and English manual in the package to guide you when installing the solar heater.
- Easy to install – It is straightforward to install this heating system – you don’t need a professional to help you.
- Accessories – The package has all the accessories you would need when installing the system, such as rubber connector hose, Teflon tape, and more.
- Extends swimming session – It is a unit that heats the water to let you swim even during the night and at the start of the winter months.
- Easy to store – You can easily store the heater during the cold days.
8. SunQuest 4-2×12 Solar Swimming Pool Heater
SunQuest provides you with this full system to give you an easy time when installing a solar pool heater for your pool. I found it to be an excellent model thanks to the following features:
- For the above-ground and inground pool – It is a model that was designed to be used for both the inground and above ground pool.
- Better water circulation – One feature that I find to be amazing is the sufficient water flow of this solar thanks to the max-flow design.
- Uses existing pool pump – The heater is compatible with the current heating pumps, meaning you do not need to spend extras to buy a pump.
- Raise water temperature by 10 Degrees – It is one of the most effective units that you can get from the market today as it raises the temperature by 10 degrees.
- DIY installation – You can easily install this heater without seeking professional help.
9. Goplus Solar Dome Swimming Pool Heater Above Ground Pool Solar Heater
At number nine, I have a model from Goplus, a reputable brand that supplies different pool products. It offers a lot of features as I have outlined them here:
- Environmentally friendly – Goplus Solar Dome is a system that heats your swimming pool in an environmentally friendly way. You don’t use gas or electricity.
- Comfortable temperature – The heater quickly warms your pool to allow you to swim in cozy water even during the chilly nights.
- Save space – It is a compact unit that helps to save space when you install it. Besides, it adds décor to your swimming pool area and makes it more valuable.
- Protection cover – The package comes with a protection cover that you can use to store your heater when you are not using it.
- Easy to install – It easily connects to 1-1/2 inches hoses, and you can easily assemble and install it.
10. Blue Wave NS6028 SolarPRO Curve Solar Heater
Another solar pool heater that you should consider getting is the Curve Solar Heater by Blue Wave. I have outlined all its significant features in this review:
- Unique Curve Shape – Its shape allows for optimum heat absorption and ensures that your pool gets heated.
- Long coils – The system’s heating coils measure 61 feet and 1.2 inches in diameter to provide more exposure to the sun.
- Up to 12,000 gallons – It can efficiently heat an above ground pool of up to 12,000 gallons or 30 feet round.
- Connect to other heaters – You can easily connect this heater to others to provide fast heating option.
- Stainless steel hose – The hose lasts for years without showing any sign of fading or getting damaged.
- Easy to install – You can easily install this solar pool heater by yourself, meaning you won’t incur installation costs.
Q: How Much Does a Solar Pool Heater Cost?
A: A solar pool heater can cost from as low a $3,500 to about $8,000. The average models go for about $5,500.
The cost will vary depending on the size of your pool, desired water temperature, direction the panels will face, and other things.
Q: Do Solar Pool Heater Work?
A: They do work by gathering sunlight and using it to heat the water as it passes via the system and back to the pool. You can expect a solar heater to raise the water temperature by about 5-degrees F within six days.
Q: How Do Solar Heated Pools Really Work?
A: A solar heated pool works straightforwardly. The solar heating system pumps the water via several tubes called solar collectors or absorber fixed on the roof or ground.
That water gets heated by the sun’s energy as it circulates via the tubes, and then returns to the pool.
Q: How Hot Can Solar Pool Heating Get?
A: A solar heated pool can get warm enough to allow you to swim during the cold nights or days. You can easily enjoy a temperature of up to 12 degrees above other pools.
That temperature can lower or higher depending on your location and the type of solar heater you have.
Q: Can I Run My Pool Pump on Solar Power?
A: Yes. You can purchase a DC pool pump and install about six solar panels that can power it. These panels are connected to the pump and run it when it is hot outside.
The best thing about running your pump this way is that you won’t incur operation costs.
Q: How Long Do Solar Panels Last?
A: They are quite durable and can last for up to 20 years. However, that will depend on the model you choose and how you take care of it.
Q: How Fast Does a Solar Cover Heat a Pool?
A: Without a cover, your pool can absorb a small number of sun rays and heat. For instance, a white pool can absorb about 60% of the sun’s heat and heat the pool for about 0.7-degree F.
A solar cover can increase this rate by ensuring that there is minimal heat loss through evaporation. It can also trap the heat inside the pool.
Q: Can You Leave Solar Cover Pool Winter?
A: Leaving the cover on during the winter means that you will get a clean pool when summer comes. The cover can easily trap dirt, leaves, and other materials that can fall into your pool if it is not covered.
The best solar pool heater can help you to extend your swimming session during the chilly nights or when winter comes. There are dozens of brands and models that you can choose from, making it hard to choose the best.
However, I have reviewed some of the best pool heaters that use the sun on the market today. Choose the one that fits your needs.