It is essential to keep your swimming pool clean and safe. One necessary thing you should do is to remove algae and bacteria by adding chlorine.
Sadly, chlorine can become ineffective after a while and thus the need for shocking. So, what’s the best pool shock to use?
Find out from the review below.
Review of Best Pool Shocks: Top 10 Models
Below are ten shocks that can keep your swimming pool free of contaminants.
1. DryTec Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment
The #1 product on the review is the DryTec Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment. Here are its features:
- Twenty-four bags: You get 24 bags to last you for long and ensure you have a well-maintained swimming pool. Each bottle weighs 1-pound.
- Fast-acting: The powder dissolves in water quickly to sanitize your pool and lets you swim within minutes.
- For algae: It is the right shock for removing algae, bacteria, and organic materials from your pool.
- 68% calcium hypochlorite: That plays a part in ensuring you get a safe product to use for your pool and one that is effective.
- User manual: The package comes with a user manual that recommends you use one bag to shock a 10,000 gallons pool.
2. Pool Essentials Shock Treatment 6 Pack
Shock your swimming every seven days to remove contaminants caused by cloudy water and chlorine odor using this treatment. It has lots of features:
- Fast-dissolving: It takes less time to dissolve in the water and remove all the contaminants.
- Easy to apply: The product was designed for home use and comes with instructions to guide you through the application.
- Removes most contaminants: It is a pool shock that helps to clear cloudy water and remove chlorine odor.
- For all pools: You can use it for above ground pools and inground ones and expect to get the perfect result.
- Economical dosage: You only need to add a 1-pound bag to a 10,000 gallons pool when shocking the water. It is the product to last you for long as you get 6-packs.
3. In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock 24×1 Pound Bags
It is one of the most potent chlorine shock treatments you can get on the market today. Here are its major features:
- For regular maintenance: It is the ideal shock for maintaining your pool even when the water is balanced.
- For most contaminants: The shock helps to remove bacterial, algae, and other harmful material from your swimming pool.
- 68% calcium hypochlorite: It is well concentrated to allow you to sanitize your swimming pool fast.
- Easy dosage: Another great thing is the product allows you to use 1-pound to sanitize a 10,000 gallons pool.
- Lasts for long: You get up to 24 bags to last you for months without needing to visit the market.
4. HTH Pool Shock Super Shock Treatment 6 Count 6lbs
It is the perfect shock for vinyl liners and other pool surfaces as it contains 52% chlorine. Here are its major features:
- Kills algae and bacteria: It is the perfect shock for removing most pool contaminants like bacteria and algae.
- Quick results: You can use the shock and expect to get ideal results within 24 hours.
- For salt water pool: Another great thing is the shock is compatible with all saltwater systems.
- Perfect dosage: The product does not over-stabilize your swimming pool, and you only need to add 1-pound to 10,000 gallons of water.
- Fast dissolve: That allows you to use your pool when you shock as it does not remain in the water for long.
- Value for money: It is a shock that lasts for a few weeks as you get six counts of the product.
5. In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 12 x 1 Pound Bags
The In The Swim 12 x 1 pound bags shock is ideal for regular pool maintenance. It comes with superb features:
- Powerful chlorine shock: It is a great product that can help you to maintain your pool.
- Removes most materials: The product quickly gets rid of bacterial, algae, and other contaminants to leave a safe facility.
- 68% calcium hypochlorite: That concentration makes it the ideal shock to sanitize your pool quickly.
- Economical dosage: You only need to add 1-pound of the shock to a 10,000 gallons pool.
- Secure package: The shock comes inside tightly sealed bags to guarantee safety when transporting them.
- Keep your pool sanitized: It is the perfect shock to keep your swimming pool sanitized for long.
6. Zappit 73% Cal Hypo Pool Shock
Zappit is one of the ideal pools shocks you can get on the shelves today to use for your pool. Here are its major features:
- 70% chlorine: It is the perfect pool shock to get rid of contaminants within minutes.
- Fast dissolving: The formula ensures that you dive into your pool a few hours after adding the shock.
- Economical: 1-pound of the product is perfect for use in a 40,000 gallons facility.
- Up to 50 pounds: The package is large enough to ensure you swim more and take fewer trips to the shock store.
- Easy to use: It is a product you can add to your store without seeking professional help.
- Keep the pool clean: The shock can remove all the contaminants to ensure that you have a sanitized facility.
7. CLOROX Pool & Spa 81006CLX Saltwater Chlorine-Free Shock
Here is a pool shock that was designed for use in saltwater swimming pools. It comes with superb features, which are:
- Chlorine-free formula: The formula helps to clear cloudy water and leave a clear pool you can dive into without worrying.
- Removes organic material: The shock helps to remove all the organic materials from your facility.
- For weekly use: It is a product that can help you to maintain your pool weekly.
- Easy to use: The package comes with user instructions to ensure that you have a hassle-free usage.
- Dissolves fast: It is a product that dissolves quickly to leave you with more time for swimming.
- Extend pool life: The shock can extend your pool’s life by ensuring it remains clean and free of contaminants.
8. Aqua-Chem 5-Pack Shock Xtra Blue
You can use the Aqua Chem 5-Pack Shock Xtra Blue for hard water and gives you the best results. Other features of the product are:
- Kills contaminants: The shock helps to remove algae and bacterial from your swimming pool.
- Clear the water: You can enjoy sparkling clean water when you use this shock to treat your pool.
- For all pools: The shock is recommended for use for inground pools, above-ground ones, and pools made of all materials.
- Reduces eye irritation: You can swim within 15 minutes, and the product will not affect your eyes or skin.
- No effect on pH: The shock does not affect the pH level, and you should use it to maintain your pool.
- Easy to use: You do not need to be a professional to handle the shock.
9. Clorox Pool & Spa XtraBlue Chlorinating Granules
It is a six-pound product that you can use to shock your pool and have a safe facility. Here are its major features:
- All-purpose shock: It is the perfect shock for green water as it functions as an algaecide and shock.
- For all contaminants: You can quickly get rid of bacteria and chlorine odor when you use this product.
- Removes organic material: It is also a product that eliminates the harmful organic material that might be in your facility.
- Shield sunlight: The shock can withstand sunlight to continue protecting your pool for long.
- For salt pools: You can also use it for chlorine pools and expect to get effective results.
- Economical: One pound of the shock can treat a pool of 53,000 gallons.
10. In The Swim Cal-Chlor Chlorine Granular Pool Shock
You get up to 50 pounds of the shock to last you for long and eliminate the need to visit the market soon. It offers the following features:
- 65% available chlorine: It is a reliable product that can keep your facility sanitized for long.
- Non-stabilized formula: The formula is perfect for keeping your swimming pool super shocked for long.
- For regular maintenance: You can use the shock to maintain your pool every day.
- Should be diluted: It is a stable product that you should dilute before you add to your pool.
Choosing Pool Shock: Guide
There are different types of pool shock on the market today. You might want to know their differences or which one you should use.
The following section answers all three main questions:
1. What Are the Different Types of Pool Shocks?
There are three main types of shock that you can buy for your pool: Potassium Monopersulfate (Oxidizer/Non-Chlorine), Sodium Di-Chlor (Di-Chlor), and Calcium Hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo).
2. What Are Their Differences?
Here is what every type of pool shock is all about:
It is the most common shock, is often used, and is the strongest among the three. The shock dissolves fast, and the sun’s rays can burn it off quickly since it is unstabilized. Cal-Hypo does not boost the Cyanuric acid level in your pool.
Although it dissolves fast, you should pre-dissolve it before you add to your pool. If you add it directly, it might bleach your pool’s surface or cause pinholes in the pool’s vinyl liner.
The version of Cal-Hypo you get in “big box stores” is weaker than the one sold by pool stores. That is because these big box stores are restricted when it comes to selling chemicals.
Cal-Hypo shock often raises your pool’s pH and should be added when the sun’s set.
Di-Chlor is a stabilized granular chlorine that dissolves slowly. It remains in the pool longer than Cal-Hypo.
It boasts the Cyanuric acid levels, thanks to the stabilizer. You can use it as a shock product by adding one pound of Di-Chlor to 10,000 gallons of water.
Di-Chlor can also function as a maintenance product by adding 3-oz to 10,000 gallons of water. The outcome often raises the pH level when you add it to the pool.
You should add it when the sun’s set.
- Potassium monopersulfate
It is an oxygen-based treatment shock and does not contain chlorine. The product is mainly used to oxidize swimming pools and get rid of contaminants.
It helps the chlorine to be more productive and is often called “shock and swim” shock because you can add it any time of the day or night. While you should wait for the chlorine levels to decrease when you add Di-Chlor and Cal-Hypo, you only need to wait for 15 minutes when you add Pottasium Monopersulfate.
The product does not add or decrease the Cyanuric acid level in your pool.
3. Which One Should You Buy?
That depends on what you want to achieve and the water chemistry.
- Use Cal-Hypo to treat green water
- Use either of the three products for weekly maintenance as follows: week one chlorine shock, week two oxidizer, week three chlorine shock, week four oxidizer, and so forth.
- Use the oxidizer if your pool has bromine
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few FAQs about pool shock:
Q: What Does Shock Do to a Pool?
A: Pool shock can be a chlorine or non-chlorine chemical that is added to a pool to boost the “free chlorine” level. That helps to kill contaminants such as bacteria and algae.
Q: When to Shock a Pool?
A: You should not wait for itchy eyes or lousy smell to occur to shock your pool. It is advisable to use shock at least once per week to guarantee a properly maintained pool.
You should also shock your pool regularly if it is heavily used.
Q: How Long After Shock Pool Can You Swim?
A: A Chlorine-free shock does not add chemicals to your pool – it oxidizes organics and bacteria. Hence, you can swim after an hour.
For chlorine-based shock, wait for the chemicals to stabilize before you swim. Shock your pool in the evening.
Q: How Much Chlorine to Shock a Pool Calculator?
A: Use 1-pound of a shock for every 5,000 gallons of water to raise the chlorine level by 10.0 PPM.
You can now go online or visit your local pool store to buy the best pool shock. Follow the guide above when picking the best model.
You May Also Like:
- The Best Salt Water Chlorinator
- The Best Chlorine Tablets for Swimming Pool
- The Best Salt Water Generator For Above Ground Pools
- The Best Pool Test Kit
- The Best Pool Test Strips
- How Much Bleach for 1000 Gallon Pool
- What Causes Pool Water Turn Green & What Can You Do To Fix It?
- How to Tell if Pool Main Drain is Working
- How to Add Alkalinity Increaser to Pool
- Black Algae In Vinyl Pool: How to Remove Black Algae