To ensure safe, clean pool water, you need to take several steps, one of which is to install a quality swimming pool pump. The pump is responsible for moving the water through the pool filter, and sometimes, a pool heater to keep it clean and warm.
But, you may be asking, What is the best pool pump on the market to achieve that?There are options, but you need to learn a bit about the pumps and do your research right.
The Key Components of a Pool Pump
A pool pump consists of five main components:
- The water inlet is the part where the pool water enters the pump. The diameter of the inlet determines the maximum flow rate of the pump.
- The water outlet is another important component and allows water to come out of the pump.
- The filter is one of the most important components because it catches debris before the water comes out of the pump and enters the pool.
- The impeller spins and helps propel the water out of the pool pump.
- The motor helps your pump to function and provides the power required to turn the impeller that in turn helps suck the water into the pool pump.
Pool Pump Speed Options
When buying a pool pump, you should always consider its pumping speed first. If you’ve a large pool, consider a pool pump with variable speed options because it allows you to make adjustments as per the status of your swimming pool.
Probably the most commonly used pumps, they are limited to one-speed setting option, but the speed is set to high. The impeller is spun at high speed that stays constant, and you cannot change it.
Because of its high speed and continuous operation, it can be extremely hard on your energy bills. Keep in mind that some states do not allow you to install a single speed pool pump.
Pumps with this speed setting allow you to set the speed to low or high. When set to high, it functions more like your single-speed pump and pushes your energy bills up.
The added flexibility of setting the speed to low helps take some control over the usage of your pump. At this speed setting, you can save more energy, especially by keeping it slow at peak usage hours.
The presence of a permanent magnetic motor (PMM) makes these pumps the finest option, as far as the power saving is concerned. While they can be expensive, they are more efficient because they can be regulated at any speed as per your needs. They are also quieter and stay functional for a long time.
The Importance of Selecting the Right Flow Rate
Selecting the right flow rate is important to enjoy satisfactory results, but the choice depends heavily on the characteristics of your pool. For instance, the size of the pool matters a lot here because the flow rate refers to how long it takes to filter the water in the pool.
Ideally, the filtration cycle should complete in less than six hours, but it is even better to cough up some money and aim for four hours of the filtration cycle.
Along with the size, other factors play a role as well. For instance:
- You may have to opt for a pump with a higher flow rate when there are more bends in your pool-piping layout.
- You may have to buy a powerful pump if the machine room is quite far from the pool.
- You may need to invest in a more powerful pump with a high flow rate when the pump has to push the water up, and that is when you have to consider the pump height in conjunction with the skimmers.
In addition, you have to consider how much work the filter will have to do. If the pool requires serious maintenance, the filter can get clogged that produces resistance. A powerful pump will be capable of dealing with that resistance to keep the process going.
Difference Between Above-Ground and In-Ground Pool Pumps
Before buying a pump, be sure to consider whether you need one for your above-ground pool, or you require an in-ground pool pump. With a change in pool type, there will be a change in the location of the pool filter.
- You are going to need a top-mount pump when you have an above-ground pool with the intake to the filter located above the ground as well. If the pump and the filter are on the same level, you may have to invest in a side-mount pump.
- You should remember that DE and cartridge filters will require side-mounted pumps, whereas sand filters function fine when you have top-mount multiport valves that call for top mounting as well.
Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Pump in 2021 – UPDATED
Many brands offer some exceptionally good pool pumps for both in-ground and aboveground pools, but you have to consider your budget and check important features like build quality, noise levels, basket size, etc., to make a purchase. Here are some good options to consider.
1. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS
- Good suction power for quick results
- No adjustment needed to prevent dripping
- No need for expensive rewiring
- A bit loud at times
- A bit expensive
The Pentair 342001 is a reasonably good buy, especially because it is extremely easy to install. In fact, it is hard to find a variable speed pump that is easier-to-install than this model from Pentair. It can easily run on 230V, so no rewiring is ever needed. The suction ability is quite impressive, and you won’t have to worry about any drips.
If your pool requires a 1.5HP, this pump from Pentair can certainly do the job. It is worth mentioning that the Pentair 342001 is not the quietest pump available in the market. Still, it is not overly loud – expect more of a grunt than a whining.
2. Hayward W3SP1580 Power Flo Pool Pump
- High-performance and quiet operation
- Easy drain plugs for maintenance and storage
- High-flow Powerflo impeller
- You will have to spend extra time priming the pump to make it work
Hayward W3SP1580 pump is an affordable option for circulating the water on both the above-ground and in-ground swimming pools. Featuring a heavy-duty motor, this Flo Pool Pump offers dependable performance. This pump has been a standard in above-ground pumps for the last 30 years.
PowerFlo LX has a single-speed operation. The strainer body has a drain plug at its bottom. The pump motor has an automatic thermal overload protection. The shaft seal is double-sided, drop-proof and heat resistant. This makes the motor last longer.
The strainer basket has a transparent cover to let the users know when it’s time to empty and clean it. With the Power-Flo LX pool pump by your side, you will enjoy more time swimming in the pool than maintaining it.
3. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo Pool Pump
- A heavy-duty motor for efficient performance
- An oversized strainer basket to collect a large amount of debris
- A self-priming pump for quick operation
- May not be an energy-efficient pump
If you are looking for a single-speed pump that is efficient and affordable, the 340039 SuperFlo by Pentair may be a good bet. It is efficient because it gets it power from the 1-1/2-HP motor.
The pump has a 56 square flange motor and has thick walled body parts. It means you are not going to experience any quality related issues. It is going to last for a long time. The presence of an oversized basket is a welcome addition too.
Everything looks fine, but keep in mind that like other single-speed pumps, it is not cheap to run the pump. While it can handle a large volume at a time that reduces the running time, it may still not be the best choice when you need an energy-efficient pump.
4. XtremepowerUS 2HP Inground Pool Pump 220V Dual Speed
- Low-cost pump packed with high-performance features
- Constructed from a corrosion-proof polymeric material
- Extra-large debris basket makes pool maintenance easy
- The pump is not as powerful as claimed
This self-priming pump is a low-cost pump designed to make pool maintenance easy. The XtremepowerUS 2HP pump is constructed from a corrosion-proof polymeric material to make it last longer. It works at 220V dual speed. The maximum suction is 66 inches and the max water temperature is 104 F.
The high-performance motor has airflow ventilation to offer a smooth run time experience. This is also a treat for those who prefer their pump to be quieter.
The pump has an extra-large debris basket. From the cover, you can see exactly when the basket is full and needs cleaning. XtremepowerUS 2HP pump is also compatible with solar heating and in-floor cleaning systems. It’s extremely easy to set up with your existing system.
5. Pentair 340038 SuperFlo Pool Pump
- 1HP motor to move more water quickly
- Internal flow design for quieter operation
- An oversized basket to prevent frequent cleanings
- Not impressive in terms of energy efficiency
The Pentair 340038 SuperFlo is a powerful pool pump that comes equipped with a 1HP motor. Even though the motor is powerful, it is incredibly quiet, all thanks to its internal flow design.
To ensure easy startup, the pump is equipped with self-priming capability. Maintenance is also easy with a large strainer basket that can collect loads of leaves and debris.
It is worth mentioning that its heavy-duty motor moves a higher volume of water and completes the operation quickly, but it may still not be as energy-efficient as variable-speed models are.
6. Hayward W3SP2610X15 Super Pump Pool Pump
- High-class performance
- Heavy-duty motor
- Durable, rust-proof parts
- Single-speed operation
The Hayward brand is one of the more popular manufacturers of pool equipment in the industry. The brand makes several high-quality products, and the Hayward W3SP2610X15 is no exception. This model is made for in-ground swimming pools regardless of shape.
The design here is one of the best and most functional designs on the market as you get quick access to the internal parts of the unit. The motor is powerful and offers up to 1 HP of pump power.
Another notable feature of the pump is that it has an airflow ventilation system. The benefit of this feature is that despite the powerful running, the pump remains cool and works quietly. To cope with the debris that will accumulate the pump is fitted with a large debris basket. The basket has a see-through cover that lets you know when you have to empty it. The only downside of this unit is that the pump only runs at speed.
7. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- An all-natural sand filter with the 6-function valve for better cleaning
- The built-in timer to automate the filtration and cleaning process
- A highly powerful filter with good flow rate to clean above ground pools
- It may not be the quietest pool pump there
It is a popular pump for your above ground pool and works efficiently with a motor capable of producing 0.75HP. The flow rate is impressive with the ability to handle 11.3m3/hr. This sand filter pump uses a 6-function control valve that ensures proper filtration and allows you to rinse, backwash, drain, re-circulate, and close the system at the same time.
A nice feature is the addition of a 24-hour timer, which means you can automate the process and relax while the pump does its job. The strainer basket is reliable and is large enough to hold the leaves.
There is also a ground fault circuit interrupter that ensures added safety. The availability of a couple of 1.5 connector hoses is nice too. Everything about this pump is good, but some people believe that it could have been quieter.
8. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump
- ProForce 1.5 HP pump is 115 Volts
- The see-through cover allows quick inspection of strain
- Meets all CSA and ETL requirements
- The performance of the pump is a bit disappointing
Harris H1572730 ProForce is made from heavy-duty corrosion-proof construction. Its stainless steel motor shaft has a reinforced thermoplastic body to offer more durability. The pump has been engineered to provide high efficiency and minimal noise.
It has 1.5-inch internal threading and 1.5-inch external threading. The pump also includes standard 3-prong grounded 6 feet cord connection. Its motor has a double size seal for longer performance. You will find 1.5-inch connection sizes on the suction and discharge ports.
The pump costs less as compared to other big brands but you can count on it as it meets the CSA and ETL requirements. However, some users have complained over the years, the pump tends to lose its efficiency.
9. XtremepowerUS 1.5HP Inground Pool Pump
- Dual Watt 7.5 AMP 1.5HP pump delivers up to 3,450 rotations per minute
- It is ETL and UL certified to ensure recognized standards for safety
- Compatible with solar heating and in-floor cleaning systems
- The motor becomes noisy after using for a few months
XtremepowerUS 1.5HP is designed for an in-ground pool pump. The dual-watt 7.5/15 Amp 1.5 HP self-priming pump delivers up to 3450 rotations per minute. The motor has airflow ventilation to ensure smooth run time and quieter operation.
The pump also features an enclosed impeller fan with wide openings to prevent debris and leaves from clogging. The clear lid top providers a clear view of the basket for easy maintenance. The self-priming pump discharges air from water intake. This prevents the motor from running dry.
The pump is compatible with the PL30-6 filter tank. The built-in automatic thermal overload protector will protect the safety of the user entirely. It will deliver outstanding performance and reliability at a fraction of the price.
10. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo Pool Pump
- A reasonably efficient pump that ensures quiet operation
- Extremely energy-efficient because of its variable-speed settings
- TEFC motor for improved reliability
- Quite expensive
With a TEFC motor, this variable-speed pool pump from Hayward will deliver reasonably good performance. You can use its digital control interface to program it as per your needs. When you press the speed button, it automatically picks the default setting of 30 minutes, but it is easy to change it to 12 hours.
Being a variable-speed model, it can change speeds while running for 7 hours a day, and that helps lower your energy bills. Interestingly, it is easy to install applications in stand-alone mode. Large strainer basket is quite impressive too. Just keep in mind that it may be a bit expensive than many other similar pool pumps in the category.
11. Waterway Plastics Ph1150-6
- Easy to install
- Clear basket lid allows quick inspection
- Long power cord
- Average durability
The Waterway Ph1150-6 is a powerful 1.5 HP above ground pool pump.
The Waterway Ph115 is a very reasonable buy for those that want a pump that is relatively easy to set up. All the hardware and parts required for installation are included in the package.
The model has a large strainer trap with a clear lid. Also, we observed that the 1.5″ connections are pretty easy to set up.
This product boasts of a powerful vertical discharge performance for 50000 litres. Additionally, there is an impressive flow rate that will result in quicker filtering cycles.
12. Hayward W3SP1592 Above-Ground Pool Pump
- Industrial sized strainer
- Heavy-duty motor
- Quick disconnect intake
- Average construction quality
Hayward makes some very impressive pumps, and this is yet another model from the reputable manufacturer. This unit is an above ground pool pump that is popular on the market due to the several interesting features.
For example, the model is fitted with an extra-large strainer basket. This will help you to collect plenty of debris at a go and you do not have to empty the basket ever so often. The basket also has a see-through lid for monitoring the debris level.
Also, the model has a powerful 1 HP motor that works really well and better than several other options on the market. One nice feature of this motor is the auto thermal overload protection.
Another interesting thing about this unit is the ability to change to filter settings depending on what you want.
13. Pentair 011773 WhisperFlo Pool Pump
- Quite efficient with a powerful motor
- Easy to install on your own
- Never gets hot while working
- Might be a little too noisy for some
With a 1-1/2-HP motor, the Pentair011773 is a highly efficient model in the single-speed pool pump category. It uses a large strainer basket that is capable of collecting a lot more of those leaves and debris that cause other pumps to clog.
Another good thing is that though it is a single-speed pump and has to run for many hours, it does not get as hot as some other models in this crowded category. The real issue is that though it is called the “Whisper” model, it is not quiet. You may have to deal with a grinding noise while running it, but again, it is still a good choice at this price.
14. Harris H1572729 ProForce 1 HP Above Ground Pool Pump
- Quiet performance
- Easy to install
- Good safety features
- Just 1 speed
If you want an affordable pump that will still give decent performance, then you should consider this efficient model. The unit has a powerful 115HV motor that will quickly push water. While a powerful option, Harris is remarkably quiet as well. This makes for an excellent appliance for noise-sensitive environments.
The body is constructed of plastic and the motor shaft is of stainless steel. This combination results in a highly durable pump.
Installation is very easy and can be done in less than 30 minutes. Whether in the winter or summer, you will certainly enjoy the performance of this model.
15. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Pool Pump
- Highly energy efficiency
- 8 programmable speed settings for efficient performance
- Compatible with popular pool control systems
- Price may be a bit high
As it is a variable-speed pump, you can expect to save 90% energy as compared to traditional single-speed pumps. You will really appreciate its quieter operation, even though it comes equipped with a powerful motor. The permanent magnet motor also improves the efficiency.
You can take advantage of 8 programmable speed settings to use it as per your unique requirements. The good thing is that it is compatible with popular pool control systems. The only concern is related to its price that may be a bit on the higher side for some people.
16. Hayward W3SP2600X5 Super Pump Pool Pump
- Single-Speed 0.5 HP Pool Pump offers high-class performance
- High-duty machine high-performance motor
- Corrosion-proof PermaGlass XL components add to the life
- It operates at one speed only
This pump is designed for in-ground swimming pools of all shapes and sizes and spas. The all exclusive service-ease design of this unit offers quick 4-bolt access to all the internal compounds. The Hayward Super Pump produces up to 1 HP.
The pump is equipped with an airflow ventilation system. This keeps the motor cool while it’s operating and allows a quiet operation. It comes with an extra-large debris basket with extended leaf holding capacity. It’s doesn’t need additional maintenance.
With the Lexan see-through strainer cover, you can see when the basket is full and needs cleaning. The pump produces a sufficient flow rate. However, it only works at one speed and this might affect the energy efficiency of the pump.
17. Hayward SP2610X15
- Easy to maintain
- Impressive debris capacity
- Simple to install
Hayward SP2610X15 is a reliable model that has served and is still serving several pool owners well. The model is a good option for stock tank. A versatile unit, this product is available in single or dual speed models. The heavy-duty motor offers 1 HP of power, which is certainly enough to cater to your above ground pool.
The unit has a large basket that will handle a large amount of debris at a time. This basket is fitted with a transparent strainer cover to help you easily realize when the unit requires emptying. Another thing about this cover is that you can remove it very smoothly.
Installation is another good thing about this unit. With minimal DIY skills, you can set up this excellent model.
18. Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pool Pump
- ENERGY STAR certified to ensure energy efficiency
- TEFC motor for improved reliability
- Touchpad control for easy programming
- Extra large basket to increase the time between cleaning
- The warranty guidelines are harsh
The Ecostar by Hayward is an energy-efficient pump, mainly because you can adjust its speed to suit your needs. This variable-speed pool pump uses a TEFC motor for better reliability and efficiency. The addition of a touchpad control screen further adds to the ease of use.
It comes equipped with an extra large basket to ensure you can collect a large amount of debris and leaves before you need to clean it. You will also like its impressive auto-priming capability that allows for a suction lift of up to 10ft. The only issue is that you cannot make the company to honor the warranty if you install the pump yourself.
19. Hayward SP2600X5 Pump
- Exclusive swing-away hand knobs to remove strainer cover with ease
- An oversized basket with an impressive leaf-holding capacity
- Easy installation with quick access to internal components for servicing
- A bit expensive than other pool pumps in this category
With some very positive customer reviews, the SP2600X5 is considered quite reliable and efficient. You can get it in single or dual speed models along with a range of horsepower and voltage options. The presence of a heavy-duty motor makes it efficient and suitable for most in-ground pools as well as spas.
It comes equipped with a 110-cubic-inch basket that can handle a large number of leaves and debris. The good thing is that it has a see-through strainer cover, which means you can easily see when the basket needs cleaning.
It is also easy to remove the strainer cover, thanks to the use of swing-away hand knobs that require no clamps or any tools for removal. Above all, this self-priming pool pump is extremely easy to install. The price may be the only concern though, as it is a bit higher than other models in this crowded category.
20. Harris H1572747 ProForce 1 HP Inground Pool Pump
- Advanced engineering provides high efficiency and minimal noise
- Large capacity extra leaf holding basket
- Comes with a drain plug
- Its motor is not reliable
Harris H1572747 ProForce comes with a 1 HP motor shaft. The pump can be used in 3 different ranges of HP – 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2. This pump has got you covered no matter what how much power you need to flush out the toxins.
To improve the durability of the motor, its constructed with a thermoplastic material. This makes it corrosion resistant. You can hence expect the pump to last for years. The pump has a seal that protects it from water damage. This seal is heat resistant as well. This makes the pump functional regardless of the weather conditions.
The strainer has a large and easy to clean filter basket. You can see through it and know when to empty. This pump is only suitable for in-ground pools. It’s not recommended for storable pools.
21. Hayward SP1580 PowerFlo LX Pool Pump
- A 60-cycle motor for efficient performance
- Highly durable housing for corrosion protection
- Drain plug to ensure easy maintenance
- The price may be a bit high for some
Suitable for your aboveground pool, the SP1580 PowerFlo LX pump is capable of using 1HP to filter the water. The motor is efficient and comes with a double-sized seal for an extended performance.
It is nice to see that it comes in a corrosion-proof housing, which means you do not have to worry about using it in any weather or climate conditions. Interestingly, the motor comes with automatic thermal overload protection.
You will not have an issue with pool maintenance because it contains an extra-large basket along with a drain plug. It is 100% drip proof and ensures quiet operation as well. It is a nice choice, but you may find the price to be a bit on the higher side.
22. Hayward SP1591 PowerFlo Matrix Pool Pump
- Large, industrial size strainer to collect debris
- Heavy-duty motor for exceptional power
- Quick discharge pipe connect for easy maintenance
- The build quality is good but not too impressive
It is a popular aboveground pool pump that is known for its industrial-size strainer basket. You can collect loads of debris and remove it with utmost ease. Throw in a heavy-duty motor in the picture, and you have a pump that performs exceptionally well. The motor comes with automatic thermal overload protection, so it is going to serve you for long.
With a high-performance impeller installed, the PowerFlo Matrix works great to prevent clogging by debris and leaves. Interestingly, it is possible to change the pump to filter setting as per your requirements. A 6ft cord is also included in the pack, which is nice. The only concern is that some people are not entirely happy about the build quality. It could have been better for sure.
23. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Pump
- Extremely energy efficient
- 3HP motor for faster operation
- 8 programmable speed settings for optimum run times
- Not compatible with some pool systems
A highly popular variable-speed pump, it comes equipped with a powerful 3HP motor but still manages to save up to 90% in energy cost. You can choose from 8 programmable speed settings to suit your needs.
In terms of quieter operations, it does not disappoint, as the noise levels are around 45dB. The use of a programmable timer makes it extremely easy to use whenever you want. Just keep in mind that though it is efficient, it may not be compatible with all pool systems.
Tips to Select a High-Quality Pool Pump
- Always consider the type of your pool to select the size of the pump. If you have a small above ground pool, you can get away with a medium sized pump. A large in-ground pool is going to need a robust pump for good results.
- Opt for a basic model if you’re going to use your pool for a short time in every season. Invest in a high-end, variable-speed pump if you need one to serve a heated pool all year round.
- Consider putting your money on a self-priming pump that comes with a pre-filter if you are more concerned about long-term performance.
- Be sure to select a pump that can handle salt water if you usually rely on salt to disinfect your pool.
- Do not forget to consider the noise level before you finalize your decision of buying a particular pump. It becomes more important when you will install the pump near the pool.
- Pay special attention to selecting the filter while making sure that it is compatible with the flow rate of your pump. It applies to all types of filters, including a cartridge filter and a sand filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What pool pump size do I need?
A: The pump you buy should be able to filter all the water in the pool within eight hours. Therefore, you should calculate the number of gallons of water in the pool. After calculating the gallons, calculate the gallons per hour needed to be pumped.
Q: How much are pool pumps?
A: As with other products on the market, pool pumps are available at a wide range of prices. The value is dependent on the brand and type. Generally, pool pumps cost from between 300 to 1200 dollars. Apart from the initial price of the pump, you might also factor in the cost of installation.
Q: Should pool pumps be covered?
A: Your pool equipment, ranging from the filter to heater and pump does not need to be enclosed. They are designed to work and last in different conditions. However, if you want the pool pumps to last for longer, then you might decide to cover them.
Q: Where to buy pool pumps?
A: You can find pool pumps wherever you buy your general pool equipment. If the model that you want is not available at your local store, you can go to online stores like Amazon to find the model you desire.
Q: Who makes the best pool pumps?
A: There are several brands on the market. From our research and reviews from users, some brands come to mind. These include Pentair, Hayward, and Harris.
Q: How long do swimming pool pumps last?
A: With proper care, your pool pump should work for between eight to 15 years. This of course depends on factors like the quality and the brand of the pump.
Now that you know what is the best pool pump on the market for your swimming pool, keeping the pool water clean and safe for swimming will be a breeze. Always take your time, consider the size and type of your pool, and pay attention to the regulations set by the state to select a pool pump of the highest quality.