Having an above ground pool makes holidays and special occasions that much sweeter. Nothing beats relaxing in a warm InTex pool to cool the heat of the day and while it can be a heavenly experience the cleaning isn’t as inviting.
Vacuums are a must have for Intex and other popular brands of above ground pools. Selecting the right one can make quick work of the task but which are the best above ground vacuums on the market for 2022? Take your pick from this high performing top 19 lists.
Top 19 Above Ground Pool Vacuums
These selections feature heavy duty high-quality designs that are built to last. They are cost effective and come with a variety of features that will make your pool cleaning a joy.
Dolphin E10 Automatic Pool Vacuum
- Top-loading filter basket for ease of cleaning
- 2-year warranty
- Cleans the pool in just 1.5 hours
- Simple plug and play design
- It’s a bit pricey but worth it
Say farewell to dirt and debris in your above ground pool with this vacuum without having to expend much effort. Offering a simple way of cleaning the pool, the Dolphin device has an easy to clean top loading filter basket. Most suitable for above ground pools, the robot can clean pools measuring up to 9 meters (or 30 feet).
Coming with a 2-year warranty, the Dolphin vacuum can clean the pool quickly in just 1.5 hours.
Polaris Vac-Sweep 6-130-00 Pressure Automatic Vacuum
- Can be installed in a matter of minutes
- Pressure side technology
- It works even in pools with uneven bottom
- Not for inground pools
- The vacuum line remains tangled
This is a pressure side vacuum cleaner made for above ground pools with vinyl. Easy to install in a few minutes, the automatic pool vacuum can work in facilities that are up to five foot deep. The device leaves the skimmer and filter free of contaminants as it is powered with the water pressure from the pool.
You have a special filter bag that removes debris and dirt even before reaching the filter or basket. This type of operation, thus, prolongs the filtration system.
XtremepowerUS Suction Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- This design manages dirt and algae leaving pool spotless
- It climbs walls on pools of various shapes and alternating depths
- The life expectancy of this pool vacuum is 1 to 2 years
- The flapper block may be faulty
- It does not do steps in the pool
The XtremepowerUS suction pool cleaner has weighted stabilizers that are used to keep the device balanced while cleaning. The eyeball divert can be used to adjust water flow. Hose length on this device is adjustable which helps to avoid tangling and other performance issues.
Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Suction Pool Cleaner (Blue/White)
- This selection makes easy work of large pools
- It vacuums the floor and climbs the walls
- You can slow down or speed up the operation of this vacuum to adjust cleaning efficiency
- The cleaning pattern may miss spots in larger pools
- Its hose tends to tangle while cleaning
The Pentair pool cleaner is an automatic vacuum that uses random cleaning patterns to free your pool of dirt and debris. It operates well with pools of various shapes and sizes while being powered by your pre-installed filters.
Pool Blaster Max Cordless Cleaner
- Wide vacuum head with 10.5 inches
- Doesn’t require cords or hoses
- Up to an hour battery runtime
- Good value for the money
- Doesn’t include a telescoping pole
- Doesn’t operate automatically
This is a battery-powered and cordless vacuum that is rechargeable. It has a 10.5-inch wide brush head for scrubbing. The cleaner has an extra-large filter bag and can clean sands, silt, dirt, and leaves. Perfect for use in aboveground and inground pools, The Max has a powerful motor for efficient and quick debris pickup.
With a lithium battery, the device has a runtime up to 1 hour and can be attached to a telescoping pole.
Hayward W900 Above Ground Automatic Vacuum
- Package includes a 32 feet hose
- SmartDrive technology for completely automatic operation
- High suction power
- Saves a lot of time
- Gets stuck too often
The Hayward product is an automatic vacuum built for above ground pools. This product comes with 32 feet hose for up to 27 feet round pools. The automatic machine is incorporated with SmartDrive, a patented technology.
Asides from above ground pools, the pool vacuum is also suitable for on-ground pools of all shapes and sizes. It can run independently from your filtration system and you can directly connect it to the skimmer.
Aquabot Pool Rover (Junior)
- This vacuum can clean a large pool without skipping spots
- Replacement filters for this product are sold separately
- Works well in any shaped pool even those with depth variations
- The wheel piston can be faulty
- Quality control on this pool vacuum may be low
The Aquabot pool rover both vacuums and micro filters dirt, debris, and contaminants found in residential pools. Users have the option of 2 to 3 hour operating times and the power cable supplied with the device is 40 feet long.
Zodiac Polaris Turtle Pool Cleaner
- This design operates on your built-in filtration system
- It can easily clean a large pool within a 2-hour cycle
- The pressure adjustment valve allows your set the function of this device to your specific pool
- Customer service with this brand may be poor
- Hose storage can have an impact on the efficiency of the vacuum
The Zodiac Polaris turtle pool cleaner is designed for shallow above ground pools. Not only will this cleaner vacuum the bottom of the pool but it also sweeps the walls and loosens debris.
Hayward Aquabug Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- It is easy to set up with very few parts needed to run efficiently
- Replacement parts are easy to get and affordable
- This vacuum fine filters leaving your pool free of dirt and grime
- There is a possibility your pool liner can be torn by this device
- It may malfunction due to faulty parts
The Hayward aquabug above cleaner works well in pools of any shape and size without skipping spots. Installation is quick and easy with an estimated set up time of under 10 minutes. This above ground pool cleaner works best on permanently installed pools.
Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner
- The only setup required is attaching the power chord
- It runs unsupervised freeing up your time for other activities
- You can use this as often as desired without it wearing out
- It does not ultra-filter
- Sleep mode is activated after 90 minutes
The Dolphin robotic pool cleaner removes dirt and algae using hyperbrush technology. The device is lightweight and provides users with an up to 90 minute cleaning cycle. Its one-year warranty coverage ensures you get the most out of this top-rated purchase.
Intex Pool Cleaner (Above Ground)
- Detailed instructions in the product kit makes setup and installation easy
- It cleans large pools quickly and efficiently without skipping spots
- This vacuum is designed to work with cohesively your already installed pumps
- The hose joints can leak air
- Quality control on this vacuum may be low
The Intex pool cleaner is designed to work in conjunction with your existing filter pump granted it has a minimum GPH of 1600. Setup can be done in reverse to disconnect, clean and store your device.
Aquabot X4 In-Ground Pool Vacuum
- This design has a micro filter and provides pool owners with heavy-duty performance
- Each cleaning cycle can run for up to 2 hours
- It does not get stuck on corners and has easy to replace filters
- This vacuum may not last longer than 1 year
- It may be incorrectly packaged being shipped without the instruction manual
The Aquabot above ground vacuum has two ultra-fine mesh filtration baskets which have the ability to collect large volumes of dirt and debris. It’s easy to clean with an automatic control panel that can be used to set cleaning cycles.
VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Efficient performance at an affordable price cleaning a full-size pool in just a few hours
- Replacement parts are readily available through the manufacturer or online
- This vacuum fully covers your pool including the floors and walls without skipping spots
- Quality control may be low on this vacuum
- Odd shaped pools with varying depths may present a challenge to clean
The Vingli automatic pool cleaner comes with 10 hose sets, a regulator valve and a detailed instruction manual. Issues such as sluggish operation and pattern repetition is addressed and troubleshooted for consumer convenience.
New in/Above Ground Zodiac Baracuda Style Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum Suction
- Needs 1600 GA/H or 1.5 HP to operate
- It’s ideal for those who want quiet pool cleaners
- No assembly is required. it’s ready to use
- It gets stuck in one place
- It can break if you use it to perform a job above its capacity
This pool vacuum cleaner is designed for those who want a quiet operation. It works well just like Baracuda G3 and G2. It is suitable for cleaning above ground and in-ground pools.
It’s time to stop manual cleaning and connect the Baracuda pool cleaner with the vacuum line or pool skimmer. It thoroughly cleans the floor and walls and gets rid of leaves, sand, bugs, debris, dirt, and pebbles. It no leaves dirt behind.
Baracuda only has one moving part so if the machine ever needs repairs, it won’t cost you a fortune. No tools are required to assemble. It’s already ready to use. It needs 1600 GA/H or 1.5 HP at maximum to start operating. A 30 feet hose is included in the package.
POOLWHALE Professional Automatic Swimming Pool Vacuum Cleaner
- All it needs is 0.33HP at minimum to operate
- Deflator wheel prevents collision with the wall
- 14 pool hoses make it possible to clean pools of all sizes
- It gets stuck very often
- The instructions are hard to follow
POOLWHALE professional automatic swimming pool vacuum cleaner is meant for those who prefer a quiet operating cleaner. It works well on in-ground and above-ground pools. Just hook it up with a 1/3 HP pump and it’s ready to operate.
The cleaner comes with 14 pieces of free hoses. The upgrading hose provided is scuff-resistant and highly durable. It doesn’t cause leaks or gets disconnected because of a higher HP. The hoses will aid you in tackling larger pool cleaning tasks. Feel free to store the rest of the hoses and use them whenever a replacement is needed.
It does a great job cleaning the floors and walls of the pool. It will remove debris, dirt, sand, leaves, twigs, and pebbles.
Hayward 100 Penguin Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- It’s simple and ready to use
- It navigates around the entire pool to do its job
- Comes in 3 customizable designs
- It moves around very slowly
- The suction is not powerful enough for large pools
Hayward 100 Penguin pool cleaner is built on the smart drive steering system to cover the entire pool and let you clean it faster. It cleans the flat bottom and dishes out the floor in less than 2 hours. All it takes is plugging the vacuum hose into the skimmer and it will start working automatically.
The vacuum cleaner comes with 3 interchangeable color combination kits to let you personalize the cleaner. It targets leaves, grass, seeds, bugs, and dirt from the pool leaving the water crystal clear for you.
It also improves the water circulation in the pool by pulling water from the bottom. No tools are required to assemble it.
Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- It works with 1500 GHP or higher
- Connects to the skimmer and starts working automatically
- It does not create noise
- It’s a little tricky to work with
- Suction is quite low
Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum is designed to clean above ground pools. It operates with 1500 GHP filtration pumps. Higher power is also supported. It’s very easy to use for pool maintenance.
To get started, you simply have to attach AquaDip to your wall skimmer and it will start going its job automatically. It’s equipped with the membrane suction technology to ensure silent operation and maximum cleaning efficiency.
If the diaphragm needs change, simply twist and open the cassette and replace it. The vacuum can handle both hard and soft walls. With AquaDip by your side, you don’t have to worry about cleaning your pool in summer.
Aquabot Pool Rover (BLUE)
- Life expectancy is up to 2 years which is very economical
- It fine filters which remove objects as small as pollen salt
- Customer service attached the brand is exceptional
- The hose can get tangled after a few uses
- There is no remote control and therefore the device has to be controlled manually
The Aquabot pool rover can navigate both in the ground and above ground pools. It can filter small particles and up to 80 gallons of water per minute. Each cycle lasts between 1 and 2 hours.
INTEY Pool Cleaner Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- The powerful suction gets rid of debris fast
- It’s easy to assemble and use within 5 minutes
- It reaches walls, stairs, and corners as well
- It’s not recommended for above ground pools
- It flips upside down
INTEY is designed to target the stubborn dirt stuck around the color of the pool. It sucks dirt, debris, hair, and other small particles swimming in the pool.
The suction unit has premium rubber disks installed around to offer a wide cleaning path. These disks are made from TPU-680 material. It’s highly elastic and hence the pool cleaning job becomes easier.
The cleaner is suitable for title, concrete, and vinyl pool surfaces. It reaches the walls, steps, floor, and corners of the pool leaving no grime behind. The suction cleaner uses flippers instead of a diaphragm for moving. It’s more powerful and it doesn’t get blocked by debris. 12 pieces of hoses make it easier to clean a larger pool as well.
Quick Tips to Choose the Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
If you want to understand the basics to choosing the a good above ground pool vacuum, consider these tips
Some above ground pool cleaners have a sleek professional design and travel with tracks instead of wheels which gives the device better traction. Other designs take the form of animals such as turtles that make a fun addition to homes with young children. Some selections are manual while others are automated allowing users to set cleaning cycles.
Manual cleaners can pose a challenge when it comes to cycles as these may last for just 1 to 2 hours. Some above ground pool vacuums enter sleep mode after an hour or so and must be restarted and reset after every cleaning cycle.
A cleaner can have an internal pump, however, may are designed to connect to your built-in pool filter. Vacuums connected to pool filters adjust based on the power of your pumps which requires a basic GPH of 1600.
Larger units use cartridges instead of bags to collect debris and can manage loads up to 60% more than regular cleaners. Not all models use micro filters so checking the manufacturer website should confirm the specs of your particular model. Micro filters can manage debris, algae and even fine dust particles leaving your pool clean and clear.
Many units have a minimum 1-year warranty while others offer warranties of up to 5 years. On average, you can expect a pool vacuum to last at minimum an entire year. This makes price an important factor in selection. Although some designs do not last as long as others, due to their low price range they are still more economical than more expensive brands.
In addition to a vacuum, some models also feature a brush that is used to loosen or scrub away had to remove contaminants. Scanners are sometimes used to optimize cleaning patterns and ensure random and efficient coverage of small and large above ground pools.
Cable length is vital when using a cleaner as it can affect the ability of your device to cover the entire pool. Using a cable that is too long is usually the source of a tangled hose which can cause damage to the structure resulting in leakage.
The customer service offered by some of these above ground pool vacuum brands is of very high quality. Customer Service Representatives personally contact consumers before the warranty expiration to ensure their product is in working condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the best above ground pool automatic vacuum?
A: The best automatic above ground pool vacuums are characterized by their high performance to price ratio. The best models are usually easy to assemble (often requiring no tools) and are easy to steer, don’t get stuck too often, thanks to cutting-edge technology such as the SmartDrive. Brands like Intex, Hayward, Pentair are known for producing high-performance robots for above ground pools.
Q: How do I hook up my above ground pool vacuum?
A: To hook up your above ground pool vacuum, simply connect the end of your hose to your vacuum head. The end of the hose you need to join usually has a swiveled head while the other end is the one that will attach to your vacuum head. When you’re done connecting everything, you can lower it to the pool bottom with the attached hose.
Q: How long should the pool vacuum hose be?
A: Pool vacuum hoses have varying lengths, depending on the model. However, it is advisable to choose the length depending on the size of your pool; the length, and depth specifically. With a pool measuring 30 feet from the farthest corner and up to 5 feet depth, you’ll need up to 35 feet length of hose.
Above ground pool vacuums can come in a variety of designs that are well suited to singles as well as families. They take the elbow grease out of cleaning your InTex pool and generally work well with pools of any shape or size. This top ten countdown of the best above ground vacuums to buy in 2022 has something for just about everyone.